Monday, January 26, 2009


Caya closes her eyes and she thinks she disappears...she can stand in the center of a full room with all eyes on her and she sincerely believes she vanishes with the shutting of her eyelids...when she opens them she says peek-a-boo as if she only reappears when she opens her eyes~peek-a-boo eye see you...


Some times I wish I could just disappear into the ether of life. You know, just close my eyes and be gone for a while. If I could disappear by closing my eyes, maybe I would do it a little too much.

Cha, could you wash everyone's clothes and then fold them and then put them all neatly away? eyes close...disappear.
Cha, we are in marriage counseling and the counselor is asking you about your desire to change people and control situations? eyes close...disappear.
Cha, just stand there while my racist mom tells you about all the things she dislikes about you. eyes close...disappear.
Cha, you are late again! eyes close disappear.
Cha, now why did you go to law school if you were only going to be an artist and stay at home? eyes close...disappear.
Cha, you are 34 years old and have never had a real profession: Why is this? eyes close...disappear.
Cha, what is it exactly that you want to do professionally? eyes close...disappear.
Cha, this resume says you worked as a kayak guide in Exuma and then spent the next summer teaching English to Korean adults in Seoul, what is your plan? eyes close...disappear.
Cha, do you have a COSTCO card in your name? No...then why are you standing in my line? eyes close...disappear.
Cha, I am giving you the stink eye and middle finger because you are driving in my lane crazy lady! eyes close...disappear.
You get my point...from the senseless interactions to the intimate and meaningful ones, there are times when I just don't want to answer...where I just want to close my eyes...and disappear. Like I said before, if I could do this, I believe I would enlist its help far too often. But thankfully, I can't disappear with the shutting of my eyes. Thankfully, every jagged, soft, rough, tragic and beautiful part of life hits me deeply and I cannot ignore it. I cannot shut it out. For it is in this living...living and experiencing all of it, that I am shaped into some one that I long to be. I learn how to traverse the terrain of living~how to weave and bob with the tide of people and their stories. And, it is in this weaving and bobbing that I have learned how to recognize the various stories that are all about in the living of our days...in our choices and in our countenance.


You see if I could just disappear I wouldn't see you and in the seeing...see ME. So here we go, peek-a-boo eye see you...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cha, do you know how precious you are?
Cha, do you know how unique you are?
Cha, do you know the amazing legacy you are building Caya?
Closed or open, those insightful eyes exist now- not yesterday, not tomorrow.

Unknown said...

...well, we hope tomorrow!